Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Too Liberal VS Too Conservative?

Ok.  So I am having a hard time.  At our Ladies Bible Study we are doing "Lord is it Warfare? Teach me to Stand!"  That is all fine and good, but it just seems to me like a lot of the ladies in our study are soooo conservative.  I am more liberal in my thinking.  I think that we should expose our children to certain things of the world while they are at home so that I can be the one to answer their questions with my knowledge and understanding of what God wants from us.  I think that there is nothing wrong with Harry Potter if you sit down with your children and explain to them that it is just a make believe world, and that Harry Potter and Hogwarts...etc...do NOT exist, but Witchcraft DOES exist and it is bad.  AND...if they start wishing that they had magic powers then that is when Satan gets control.  Yes there is a fine line between good and bad, and children can be swayed so easily, but is it wrong to let you children have childish treats (like Disney princess movies) and explain to them the difference between imagination and reality??  Granted...not all disney princess movies are good.  I will NEVER have "Princess and the Frog" in my home, or support my little girl watching it because it is DOWN RIGHT evil.  Voodoo does exist and it is SO real, and that is not make-believe because it is a cartoon.  Those things really happen...That is REAL!  And scary.  But a fairy god-mother is not going to show up and turn a pumpkin into a horse drawn carriage to take you to the ball...and mermaids don't even exist in real life.  I think that is where discretion comes in as a parent.  Only you know your child and what they are susceptible to.  I am not going to let my friends' kids watch movies that I haven't okayed with them first...and I expect the same courtesy from them.  But, why are little boys allowed to watch Indiana Jones and StarWars, but little girls shouldn't be allowed to watch Cinderella?

I just feel like I am stuck between a rock and a hard place.

No comments:

Post a Comment