Monday, September 26, 2011

Pottery, Halifax and History's Pants - Days 8-10

I should probably start by letting you all know that I have had a decent first week back at home.  I did some babysitting on my first day back (which was crazy) saw my family (Sean's side) and I started a new job at the local IGA.  It was cool, but the girl who was training me was used to training teenage girls who are apparently really stupid...either that or I just catch on really quick.  Either way, I have another shift tomorrow and I am excited to learn how to close.  But, back to my trip to Nova Scotia...


Day 8 -
I woke up around 9:15 or so and was putzing around the house.  I had offered to make dinner for everyone, so I made my friend Samm's famous Lasagna.  It has all the "good stuff" in it...you know...peppers, mushrooms, onions...etc...Well, I went upstairs to ask Alice a question and, low and behold, she was gone!  Apparently she had gone to drive Emily to work and so I just snooped, found what I was looking for and started doing my thing.  Alice returned around 9:45 or so and started to play with Jenni, and I heard, "Oh NO!  That's not good!"
"What?"  I ask calmly.  I thought that Jenni had eaten a rock or a bug or something.  No big...
"There's a flea on Jenni's head."
"Oh, we should probably vacuum!"
So started the deep clean of the main floor of the house.  We stripped mine and Jenni's beds and washed everything and Alice vacuumed all the main floor including the beds and the living furniture.
Before we knew it, it was time for Jenni to down for a nap and that was in the middle of the cleaning.
Once the house was spotless, Alice went to get Emily from work.  We had planned to go paint pottery after Jenni got up from her nap, so by the time the girls came back we were ready to be off to Wolfville.
We got to the pottery painting place called "The ClayGround" and got to pick our pieces.  Alice picked a dog bowl for Scuba, Emily picked an Elephant piggy bank, and I picked a princess, a butterfly, a flower and a ladybug.  Apparently you have to put 3 coats of paint on your piece so it isn't streaky, so my 4 little projects were WAY out of my league!  However I refused to admit that until much later in the afternoon and I returned the ladybug.  I would have returned the flower too, but I let Jenni paint it already. (Most of the paint ended up in her mouth...good thing it was non-toxic paint).  Alice helped me finish the flower.  Other than that one stint of painting for Jenni I am sure she was very bored, but between Emily and the lady who worked at the shop they kept her busy.  :o)
We got home around 6:30 (basically 5 hours after we left) and had dinner.  Aunty Brenda had invited me to choir practice and so at 7:00 we went down the hill from the house, to the church.  It was in interesting experience partly because it was an Anglican Church Choir, and partly because the conductor was rather strange.  To start, he had plug holes in his ears and a tongue ring - not that I'm judging, he was just very conservative, so I wasn't expecting it.  Also, he did NOT respect his choir members and so his choir members did not respect him either.  He would say something to a inexperienced choir (that even a professional choir would find hard to understand) and expect them to understand and be perfect right away.  I personally did not agree with his choral conducting techniques, but whatever...I'm not a member of his choir, I was just a guest.
Alice and Uncle Al were on "baby duty" while we were at choir and it was bath night.  Alice's report to me when we got home was really funny because she admitted that they didn't really know what to do...but whatever...it turned out great!  They didn't break her, so I was happy.  I'm easy like that.  :o)


Day 9 -
This was our day in Halifax.  Alice, Jenni and I planned to leave at 10:00am, and we actually did really well.  We listened to some Adventures in Odyssey that morning...and it was Alice's first real encounter with them.  She enjoyed listening to them...I think, anyway.  We stopped in Windsor, NS for some coffee at Tim's and then we got to Halifax.  Jenni fell asleep shortly after we left Windsor, but it was not a very good nap for her.  We got off of the 101 and on to the 102 and then Alice was supposed to direct me (sorta) to the Home Depot parking lot.  So, we missed our turn, and then I took the next one, then I exited off of that road to turn around.  I finally got into the Costco parking lot, got back going the right direction, turned off of that road, and back on to the 102 going north, got onto the right exit and got to Home Depot.  Alice was baffled.  She is kind of directionally challenged, and so she thought for sure we were lost, but even though I felt like I was going the wrong way (directionally wise, like North and South) I followed the signs and got us to where we needed to be.
We met up with Josh (which was part of the whole reason we went to Halifax in the first place) and we went into town to go to some comic book store.  Once we were parked, I called my friend Marissa from high school and we met up with her.
We went for lunch in downtown Halifax.  We went to this place...Moose something, or something Moose, and they were JERKS!!!  I looked through the menu and they didn't have a grilled cheese sandwich, but they did have the ability to make it.  So, I asked the waitress if she could ask the kitchen and they said no.  They had just gotten a big order on the patio, and they didn't want to do it.  So, I said that Jenni could have some of what I was eating, and she said, "So, you're going elsewhere then??"  I was so miffed that we just got up and we left.  We went next door to a place called the Foggy Goggle, and it was really good.  I enjoyed my time at lunch.
After our really yummy lunch, we went down to the harbor and did some sight seeing.  We went right down on the water floating on a dock.  Theodore the tugboat was there too.  Oh childhood memories.  I left Jenni with Josh and Alice so I could check out some of the shops without having to worry about Jenni getting her little hands into everything.  When I returned from my shopping adventure I was informed that Josh and Alice had tried to "convince people to trade Jenni for a goat".  That was pretty ridiculous, but then Marissa started to look at us kind of funny, and then said, "Oh, Goat.  I thought you said that you were trying to convince people Jenni was a boat."  And we all had a good laugh!  Jenni is a very convincing boat!
I really wanted a picture of and/or with a lighthouse and there was one just off the harbor of Halifax.  I took some pictures of it, and then I wanted to do the really touristy thing and have a picture of me holding the lighthouse.  There was this really creepy guy who tried to get into my picture with me, and everyone thought that he was touching my bum, but he was actually 3 or so feet away.  It was really awkward and creepy for me, but Josh, Alice and Marissa were busting a gut laughing at my misfortune...and apparently snapping a picture.
Marissa had to get back home because she had homework to do, so we drove back to Josh's house.  We just ended up chatting, and we didn't get to watching Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog.  Lol!  That was what we had planned to do before we left for home, but Jenni had not gotten a real nap throughout the day, so she was getting grouchy.  After lots of visiting we had to get a move on.
We left about 7:30 and it was dark.  Finding our way out of the city was a little scary because it was also raining and foggy, so I just had to trust that I knew which way I was supposed to be going and follow the road signs.  About 10 minutes outside of the city I had to pee, but I didn't want to get off the highway to get to a bathroom.  We were going to stop in Windsor at Tims again, but it was raining so hard and there were big, BIG puddles on the road that I didn't want to stop for anything.  I just wanted to get home.  I just focused on driving, and on being calm so I didn't freak out Alice.  Luckily Jenni was asleep before we left the city, so she wasn't being noisy
We got home, and promptly put Jenni to bed, and then Alice and I got to talking.  We were just sitting in the great room chatting, and then all of a sudden it was 1:30 in the morning.  After I went to bed Jenni got up every hour just for a snuggle or to get warm (because she would kick off the covers).  So my night was not awesome!


Day 10 - 
This day we were planning on going to meet Grammy and Grampy (G & G) in Berwick after Grampy's dialysis.  We left the house around 12:00 and headed there.  We got there and then headed to a BEAUTIFUL park to have our picnic lunch!  


After our lunch we followed G & G to Annapolis Royal, and to Port Royal, the french habitation.  It was very cool.  Usually, most people go in and out of there in just half hour or so, but we were in there for more than an hour and a half.  We went into all the rooms and we really got into the history...like...you know...wearing the clothes that were on display (*cough* Alice!)...and trading Jenni for an Axe over the shop counter.  Technically I don't think we were supposed to touch anything, but it was there, and we were curious...so we touched...we touched almost everything!  It was really fun!!!!  We got to act really silly and have lots of laughs...and then at the end or our fun we got a picture  of our adventure.
After the habitation we went to Annapolis Royal to get pictures with a lighthouse.  It was a tiny, tiny lighthouse, but it was still awesome...and old!  After our little side adventure, we went to a little diner for supper.  Jenni even got so sit right by Grampy.  It was such a wonderful 
day to spend with family!!!!!!!!!!! 

2 comments:

  1. You left out the lion you'd plan to paint. Very lofty ambitions they were. I did like the Adventures in Odyssey. I was more than baffled at your navigational prowess; I was astonished, amazed and totally impressed.

    Handling history - Ah, good times.

    A few small things...
    first real(ly) encounter
    was not a very (good) nap for her
    convince (people) Jenni

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh. Thanks for the corrections. I'll fix them. And, by perfect I mean detail wise. I don't usually re-read my post for grammatical errors. Oh well. My bubble was not bursted!!!!

    ReplyDelete